If this is the first time you have looked into sourcing an interpreter it can be easy to be overwhelmed by the amount of information available.
In this brief overview of interpreting we hope to clarify the finer points of this fascinating service and to bring key points to your attention before you hire an interpreter.
- Interpreting requires a completely different skill set to translation – even the most seasoned, professional translator will not always make a suitable interpreter and it is certainly not enough to simply know how to speak another language.
- Consider what type of interpreting you need – does the interpreter need to interpret between the relevant language constantly, for example at a conference? Or will s/he act as a messenger between two people, or at a board meeting? Simultaneous and Consecutive Interpreting are two of the most common forms and both require specific skills and attention.
- As per translation, interpreting costs will vary according to the language pair. Also according to location – for instance, to secure the services of a professional ,experienced interpreter in Paris, you can expect to pay almost double the standard rate accepted across most of Europe.
- Consider if you have any reference material available – interpreters welcome the opportunity to research each project before it begins, ensuring that they are as prepared as possible.
- Again, as per translation, do be aware that if you are offered a very low rate for interpreting that it is unlikely you will be receiving the services of a suitably qualified and experienced interpreter. Professionals work to a set of standard, accepted rates.
- Whether you need an interpreter for half an hour, or for a weeklong conference, it is vital that you source the right professional with the correct knowledge and expertise in the required field.
Veritas promise to bring you the very best professional interpreting service and we pride ourselves on our excellent customer service.
- • all of our interpreters have at least five years’ experience and are handpicked with your requirements in mind.
- • we only use fully registered interpreters from the following registers; NRPSI, APCI, ITI, CloL, and the NRCPD and ASLI for British Sign Language.